Roof shingles are an essential part of any building. If they are properly installed, the roof can last for years. In all homes and businesses the time eventually comes when it is time to repair or install a new roof. There are many different types of roofing available on today’s market at a variety of costs.
Choices include wood, shake, asphalt, rubber, metal and asbestos shingles, tile, metal sheets. To decide what is best for your particular project, it is important to consider a number of things.
• The style of the building
A proper roof can emphasize the natural architecture of a building and make it blend in with the surrounding area. You would not want to put a copper roof, for example, on a home in an exclusive neighborhood.
Of course, replacing a roof is not inexpensive. In addition to the price of the materials, you must consider the possibility that the underlying materials might have to be repaired or replaced. In addition to the roofing material used, it is also necessary to purchase flashing to make the roof waterproof. Roofs with skylights and other things will cost more than a roof with simple lines.
• Popular materials
It is important to discuss the different types of materials with an expert in the roofing area. Some roofs will not hold heavy materials, such as slate. When making a choice, it is always important to consider texture and color of the material as well as how long it will last.
1. Wood shingles were commonly used for years but are currently banned in some areas because of fire danger. They cost twice as much as asphalt shingles and have a life expectancy of 25 years.
2. Asphalt shingles are the most popular, especially in Toledo OH. They are relatively inexpensive and are not difficult to install. Their top surface granules protect the shingles from sunlight, which can cause serious roof damage. In some cases, manufacturers have added materials, such as copper, to prevent algae growth. Life expectancy is from 15 to 25 years depending on the type chosen.
3. Metal roofing is available in copper, steel, aluminum and lead. Popular styles are simulated shingles, which come in a wide variety of colors. These have a realistic wood grain and are relatively expensive. The manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty for a homeowner and a 40-year warranty when the home is sold.
4. Tile roofs are available in both clay and concrete. They generally cost approximately three times more than asphalt shingles. Clay tile costs more than concrete and both are shown as durable and able to handle severe weather. Life expectancy is 50 years.
5. Slate roofs are beautiful, however they are extremely heavy, expensive, difficult to install and fragile. A slate square (100 square feet) weighs between 800 and 1,500 pounds. Estimated cost is $6,000 to $8,000 per square. This type of roof requires a very strong structure underneath. Life expectancy is 150 years.
These are just a few of the types of roof shingles available. When choosing a new roof for a Toledo OH home or business it is extremely important to consult with roofing experts. They will be able to explain the advantages and disadvantages of each type of roofing and make recommendations for your particular situation.
If your home could use some fixing up just call American Builders. Find us online at http://chooseab.com/, visit us in Toledo, OH at 6222 North Summit St. (or in Monroe at 3000 North Detroit Ave. or Findlay at 431 Prospect Ave.) or call us at 1-855-693-4727 (MYDISASTER).